Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wearing Grey on Saturday for Parkinson's Awareness!!

Wear grey for Parkinson's Disease!
I have seen many declarations on the news lately for the month of April.  The many meaningful causes attempting to generate awareness for worthy efforts include the following list for April:
April is:  
Autism Awareness Month, 
Distracted Driver Awareness Month, 
STD Awareness Month, 
Sexual Assault Awareness Month, 
National Sarciodosis Awareness Month, 
Alcohol Awareness Month, 
Esophageal Cancer Awareness Month, 
Child Abuse Awareness Month, 
IBS (Irritated Bowel Syndrome) Awareness Month, 
Oral Cancer Awareness Month, 
National Stress Awareness Month, 
Organ Donor Awareness Month, 
Community College Awareness Month, 
Oil Speculation Awareness Month,
To name a few......
Holy Cow!  This list came up from a simple google search on Yahoo.  Did you know there were so many organizations holding events this month to generate awareness?  This was news to me.

However, I have been following the efforts of the Parkinson's Disease and Michael J. Fox Foundations.  They have been doing some great things to bring awareness to this crazy chronic illness.  

You see, my "hott-hubby" Dan has Parkinson's Disease.  At 49 years old with a young family of four, he was diagnosed with this debilitating illness that effects his mobility, among other things.  With two young boys at home (now they are 7 and 8 years old), living with Parkinson's can be challenge.

But aside from the physical demands of PD, we at the Hott House have chosen to find it's blessings.  So, for Parkinson's Awareness Month, this wife of a PD patient, mom of a PD family, caregiver in a PD home wants to say "thanks".  Because when Parkinson's joined our family, I learned to hear better and experience the blessings in the smallest moments, to appreciate how healthy we are this very minute, because, as I learn more and witness advanced stages of this stinking disease, PD has taught me to celebrate right now!

It's like God tapped me on the shoulder and whispered in my ear "Excuse me, can I tell you something?" I'm here.  And we can live with this!

Wear grey this Saturday, April 21st, to express your support of Parkinson's research.  

I am.

"I can do all things through him who strengthens me."  Philippians 4:13



3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Angie you are such a beautiful person. You make me
smile when I think if you and how God has used you to reach out to others who are struggling with their own issues. I am not saying that I believe you don't have your days or moments but you are a bright star in this world of challanges and I am so very proud of you!! We will be wearing grey:)

Angie Hott said...

Awe shucks Jeannette! So glad to share and to hear that you will also be wearing grey.
Send me a picture!
love, a

Bonnie said...

Angie I will be wearing as much grey as I can find in my closet for your family and other PD's who need a lift and covering this
disease with prayer.

Bonnie