Sunday, October 6, 2013

#MichaelJFox - Are YOU watching? My Review of Michael J. Fox's New Sitcom

The new Michael J Fox Show.  Are YOU watching?

I.am.

Yes, this 48-year-old-grey-haired-PD bloggin-hott-mama-of-four tunes in faithfully to NBC on Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. (est).

Why?  Well, not to see the comeback of Michael to prime time television.  No, not even to laugh with Michael at his own victory over a chronic illness.  Nope! Not even to see how the writers will incorporate Parkinson's Disease into the script.

For me, well.... I can't wait to see what this little guy will do next.  Sound crazy?

But just look at him!  Those chubby cheeks erupting with freckles.  That strawberry blond head full of luscious curly locks.  Those enormous blue innocent blue eyes.  And, get this:  He's eight!  I wonder why I love this guy so much?!  Wait a minute, check out my 8 year old!

Sound familiar?  Well, he is.  Just look at him!

And so is so much of what I see while watching Michael's new sitcom.  Although the marketing folks gave away all things interesting in their promotion of the pilot episode, The Michael J. Fox Show, and in all honestly, I was drawn to its' efforts as a follower of The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research there are some genuinely cooky life parallels I keep discovering that keep me watching.  There are several "real life" scenes that only a "Parkie" would understand.  Here they are:

*  Family Dinner -- The painstaking pauses of Parkinson's Disease that keeps a family waiting, yes waiting to eat!
*  Bedtime Banter -- The husband and wife beneath the covers kinda talk that only a spouse with Parkinson's could understand.
*  Nightmares and Sleep Talking -- The endless, crazy PD dreams that startle and stir slumber.
*  Timing PD Meds -- The inclusion of Michael's PD meds into his daily routine is a scene ripped directly from the Hott House!
*  Crazy Kids and Goofy Relatives  -- For my favorite aspect of The Michael J. Fox Show, the complete immersion of his children into living with a dad that has Parkinson's Disease is celebrated in this new comedy.

For this, well,... Michael has me watching.  Because, you see, here is where between the laughs and antics of his quirky moves and dropped lines (another PD symptom), I find that watching The Michael J. Fox show is like standing out on my own front porch and peeking in the window.

Although diagnosed a bit later than Michael, my "hotthubby" Dan came home one day in 2008 and told me that his neurologist was certain that he had Parkinson's Disease.

Wait,... really?

And like Michael J. Fox, we had a family of four.  How would we manage to raise two boys who were at the time just 3 and 4 years old?  Will the progression of this stinking illness mean that Dan will be capable of dancing with the girls, now 13 and 23, at their weddings?

But here's what happened.  Parkinson's Disease just became our new normal.  Not that we were remotely close in the first place, but we sure learned to enjoy each other n.o.w.!  Rather than "throw in the towel," we chose to give PD a room in our house with the rest of us.  As Michael promotes, we chose to believe in "the power of optimism"... and to to always (be) looking up.

Looking up to the one in control of it all, I find that with God's daily Grace, we find ways to giggle at the little things that living with Parkinson's Disease means.

So does Michael.  For this, I recommend tuning in on Thursdays for a peak at our PD families.  And for those of you that don't have Parkinson's living with your family, well,... you just may find something similar that also gives you the giggles.

No comments: