Sunday, June 15, 2014

Posting a Post for Father's Day






Funny the things that pop in my head while in the shower.  Today,... another Father's Day,... it was this picture.

Taken in the Berkeley Springs State Park during his sister's high school band concert, Isaac Hott (~18 months) was under the watchful eye of his Pap-pap, Bobbie McBee.

Tending to the needs of his 3 month old brother, Levi, this new mom of four was confident that her dad wouldn't let Isaac drown, while keeping him safe and well, happy, as I juggled my attention to the clarinet performance of his teenage sister, entertained her younger sister Violet with snacks, and managed the needs of a newborn.

Little did I know that all the while, his granddad was swinging Isaac over the springs to the delightful glee of toddler Isaac.  While soaring like a plane in his arms, Isaac notices with interest all that is contained within the springs of the Berkeley Springs State Park.  

Getting a much "closer" look, Isaac decides to land belly down to the ground as he proceeds to reach for all that grows and lives beneath the surface of the spring water.  Crawling with creatures and live yucky things, my curious toddler unable to reach the craw-fish on the bottom decides to explore the slimy green muck growing along the walls of the stream.  

With handfuls of the mossy wet green wonder and curly bangs dangling dangerously at the water's edge, Isaac reaches for another handful of the mysterious green sludge just when photographer, John Douglas (former editor of The Morgan Messenger) snaps this picture.  Little did Isaac realize his granddad was really close behind.

Engaged in nonstop conversation about the wonders beneath the town's springs, Pap-pap returns Isaac wet, dirty, slimy, muddy boots, with a suspiciously green smile... and... totally and completely happy!

Oh well...a little slime never hurt anyone, right?  

Seeing this picture reminds me how grateful I was to have a father that allowed me to explore my universe too, yet always within reach of his gentle, watchful eye; not at all unlike the comforting watchful eye of our Heavenly Father, who is also not far behind.  Allowing us to explore, to learn, and to discover all that is new and exciting about His amazing world, so did Pap-pap completely engage Isaac in an afternoon of discovery, all within his watchful eye.

I don't know about you; but it sure makes me feel good to know that my Father is with me and will watch over me wherever I go.  You too?

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. 
I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."  Genesis 28:15

No comments: